- Old Folk-Home
Remedies To Relieve Arthritis And Rheumatism - pg 2
- Steep six ounces of sassafras
root in fifth of whiskey for 24 hours. Take one tablespoon three
times a day before meals.
- - Steep 1 cup alfalfa seed in
1/2 gallon boiling water for 20 minutes. Strain, put in jar,
take small glassful three times a day.
- - Mix camphor, methyl salicylate.
eucalyptus oil and menthol to make a rubbing mixture for aches
- Mix fresh carrot juice with
equal parts of lemon juice. Take one large spoonful everyday.
- Mrs. C. says Knox gelatin is
- Mrs. T. wraps afflicted joints
loosely with thin plastic for relief.
- A lady recommends bone meal
and Vitamins A, D, and C, 3 times a day.
- Mrs. A's hands are better after
she started drinking sarsaparilla tea.
- Mrs. O. got relief by taking
- Mrs. H. takes one tablespoon
of fresh lime juice in two tablespoons of water nights and mornings.
- Mrs. M.B. says 1 oz. of oil
of wintergreen, 3 oz. chloroform, and 12 oz. of rubbing alcohol
makes a good rub.
- Mrs. L.N. says cucumber juice
controlled her arthritis.
- Contributors to arthritis are:
overwork, exposure to wet, cold weather, infectious diseases,
poor diet, mental strain, etc.
- After heat treatment, rub down
the sore sports with a mixture of 1/2 cup of wintergreen mixed
with 1-1/2 cups camphor and soap liniment.
- A Canadian says to mix equal
parts of the following herbs: black cohosh, genitian root, angelica,
colombo, scull cap, valerian, rue and buckthorn bark, and take
one heaping teaspoon in a cup of boiling water. Let steep, and
drink three 1/2 cups per day.
- Drink plenty of water to keep
the body clean. Keep an optimistic outlook. Avoid depressive
thoughts and nervous tension. A healthy body and mind resist
- Sunshine, sunbaths, and deep
breathing of fresh air are very important.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables
and fruits, but exercise moderation when eating highly acid fruits.